Thursday, May 04, 2006

Sports Mount Rushmore

While watching Mike & Mike in the morning, on ESPN 2 yesterday they had an interesting segment. Who would be your sports Mount Rushmore, meaning from the 4 major sports, Football, Baseball, Hockey, and Basketball. Who would you classify as the four ultimate Icon or greatest players/figures from their respective sport. A fairly interesting thought so why not throw it out there. Also bonus points will be awarded for lack of homers.

Lets start with the easy one: Baseball, Babe Ruth

Your answer here has to be Babe Ruth, a man that not only transcended the game, but time which I feel is an even harder accomplishment. Not to mention he's second all time in home runs and won 94 games over his career as a starting pitcher, including one 24 win season. NO ONE will Ever be able to lay claim to the body of work that Babe does. A not so distant second would have to be Jackie revision however when you compare what they did as players your still left with Ruth. Next topic

A less easy choice but still obvious: Hockey, Gordie Howe

This guy played from 1945 until 1980, are you kidding me? It's a toss up here for me between him and Gretzky but I'll give the nod to the man who played for 35 years.

Now the waters get muddy: Basketball, Michael Jordan

Basketball has had so many changes in the game since it's inception. It is a far cry from it's beginnings in almost every aspect of the game. If I were to pick who I felt made the biggest change in the game I would say Wilt, but if I'm going one name, one face from the sport, it may be a reflection of my generation but I have to say Jordan. The definition of a great player is within their ability to make others around them better. Jordan was the best at this, with Jordan Tony Kukoc was able to score 20 a game, this player averaged about 5 per game playing with A.I who I feel is a top 50 player, but it is a small example that shows exactly who the king was and is.

The best for last: Football, Jerry RIce

Football is the hardest due to the nature of the game. It is truly a unit of 11 men who when moving correctly all together are successful. However the point of the game is to score touchdowns Jerry RIce scored more touchdowns than any other player to ever step on the field. He was able to dominate like no other at his position or any other position for that matter. He transcended the game by making a type of offense successful that is seen across the league now. This is the sport where I expect to see the largest spread, but how do you separate Joe Montana from Johnny Unitas, Jim Brown from Barry sanders, Lawrence Taylor from Reggie White. I do it by realizing none of them scored more touchdowns than Jerry.

3 Comments:

At 5/04/2006 05:18:00 PM, Blogger Iconoclast said...

Just for fun:

Here's my quick criteria. First, all Americans all the time. Second, no hockey. It's not an American sport. If we add hockey, then we'll have to start adding greats from the world of cricket and soccer. Third, no a-holes. The Mount Rushmore of Sports should be something that we can proudly point to our kids and the mentally retarded.

#1 -- Michael Jordan. Too Easy.
#2 -- Johnny Unitas. Invented the two-minute drill on the fly against the Giants in the NFL Championship Game. The Colts signed him from a factory's football team. He also wore sweet, black cleats.
#3 -- Mohammed Ali. This one is pretty easy for me. I could see someone not liking a boxer on this list, but I've got to have "The Greatest" on mine.
#4 -- Jackie Robinson. Toughest one by far to figure out. My first idea was to have Teddy Ballgame, but that would be too much of a homer pick. Other acceptable options would have been: Cal Ripken (wasn't dominant enough for my liking), Lou Gehrig, Nolan Ryan (for greatness/putting Robin Ventura in a headlock and punching his head repeatedly), and A-Rod (the thought of his head carved in stone makes me want to vomit).

TUW, as for your list, I see where you're coming from, but I have to disagree a little. I don't have Ruth on mine because of the whole alcoholism thing. I don't know anything about hockey, so I'll trust you on Howe. I take big issue with Jerry Rice. Now, he is the greatest football player ever, but I just don't think you can give the Mount to a WR. Other footballers I'd consider are: Walter Payton, James Brown (marginal, because he's a bad dude), Joe Montana, John Elway, Tom Brady (had to know this one was coming), Emmit Smith (you probably just vomited in your mouth), Gale Sayers, and Larry Czonka (spelt his name wrong, but he gets 5K bonus points for being the color guy on American Gladiators). If not Unitas, my next two picks would have Sweetness or Montana.

Stay strong and nice posting.

 
At 5/04/2006 08:59:00 PM, Blogger The Ultimate Weapon said...

Ali was a draft dodger and as I said how do you separate Unitas from Montana or Bart Starr for that matter.
As for Robinson he was a close second to Ruth. I know character may be an issue, but for the name recognition that accompanies a man who played the game 70 years ago, I still go Ruth in that toss up. Plus I would have loved to see Robinson or a joker like Bonds climb up on the pitchers' mound.
As for Rice, you said it yourself he is "the greatest football player ever". Washington owned slaves and he's on the real Mount.

 
At 1/09/2020 04:59:00 AM, Blogger infotech Zone 93 said...

Top Rated, Leading Finance Assessment Company in Eugeneinment in Eugene, Lane County, Oregon

CSK Dynamic Ventures LLC in Eugene, Oregon

Contact CSK Dynamic Ventures LLC in Eugene, Oregon

Business ventures in oregon

Finance Venture Company in oregon





Infotech Zone - Best Web Design, Best Web Development, Best Digital Marketing Company in Ludhiana, Punjab

Top Rated Best Graphic Designing, Best Web Design, Best Web Development and Best Digital Marketing Company in Ludhiana, Punjab

Top Rated SEO, SMO, Web Design and Digital Marketing Company in Ludhiana, PunjabInfotech Zone - Best Web Design, Best Web Development, Best Digital Marketing Company in Ludhiana, Punjab

 

Post a Comment

<< Home