Monday, January 30, 2006

Quick hits from the weekend:

1. El Canyone asked a great question on Friday night. Which team will be better in 2006: the Mets or the Yankees? As a Red Sox/Pedro Martinez fan, my heart is very much with the Mets. My head, unfortunately, tells me to go the other way. Generally, I could easily see both teams winning their divisions. I could just as easily see both teams out of the play-offs by a lot. I want to do something more in-depth later in the week, in terms of a position-by-position basis, but here are my initial thoughts:
  • Omar Minaya solved two major problems from last season by going out and getting Carlos Delgado and Billy Wagner. Both players are a lot better than Doug Malphabet and Braden Looper.
  • The Yankees outfield situation was pretty laughable last year. They went large chunks of the season rolling Tony Womack and Bubba Crosby out their. Unfrozen Caveman Outfielder stabilizes center field for them, at least in the short run.
  • Neither starting staff wows me. Pedro v. Randy is pretty sexy, but Steve Trachsel v. Carl Pavano is about exciting as dry white toast.

2. Caught a little of Mike & Mike on the way into class this morning (great listen, by the way). They were going over Bret Favre’s situation with the Packers. I’m of the mind that Favre still has good football left in him and that the Packers need to go into rebuilding mode. That means that Green Bay should trade Favre. In terms of any trades, I think Green Bay could get a decent pick (2nd-3rd round) for him. Either way, I love #4 and hope that I’ve haven’t seen the last of one of the greatest pressure players of all time. I think the following teams could make pretty good fits.

  • New Orleans Saints: Favre is from the general area. They have a pretty stacked offense (Joe Horn, Dante Stallworth, Deuce McCallister). From an article that I read in the Katrina aftermath, they will probably have a salary cap “boost” next year (to be able to lure FAs to a crappy situation). Favre will also have ability to draw fans to a team that has sucked something awful for a long time. I also love the possibility that Favre could spend the next year or so engraining bad habits into Matt Leinart. (“No Matt, its no problem going out the night before the game. I was blitzed to all hell the night before Super Bowl 30 and that worked out ok. Here, have another.)
  • Miami Dolphins: Feels like a great fit, but I don’t think Nick Saban is in a huge hurry to sign an aged QB who makes a lot of questionable decisions. The Fins were a mediocre QB from making the play-offs last year and Favre is, at the very least, mediocre. With that defense, maybe only having to score 19ish points to win a game would cut down on Favre feeling like he has to win the game on each and every throw.
  • Da Bears: Up until the return of the Rex Grossman Era, I loved this fit. Kyle Orton was performing adequately, but he didn’t look ready yet. Grossman looked like he could never be counted on to start more than 8 games per year. Rex stealing the job from Orton pretty much kills the idea, but here it goes. Just like Green Bay, Chicago is cold and windy. The Bears have a great defense and the whole “maybe he won’t feel like he’ll have to win it himself” theory is in-play (just like I said above). From a programming standpoint, the NFL could schedule the Bears last game at Lambeau Field and give Favre his hero’s send-off. The whole inter-division thing would probably kill this one.
  • The Raiders: Bret Favre is old. Then again, every single player on the Raiders is old. I think there is zero chance that he goes here, but I love the idea. Hell, I’d even sign Dorsey Levens and Antonio Freeman. It’d be like a reunion. Plus, imagine Bret Favre hucking the ball 60 yards down the field to Randy Moss. Imagine the two of them celebrating after a touchdown. Even better, picture a 3rd-and-goal with Favre overthrowing Warren Sapp (playing TE). They’d probably kill each other on the spot.

3.) Quicky, Peter King gave the world this nugget in today's MMQB: Bill Cowher has a daughter playing lady hoops at Princeton. Her name is Meghan and you can see her player profile here. She’s a pretty attractive girl and I wouldn’t mind Bill Cowher being my surrogate dad. I smell a match....or that could just be the musk of lady b-ball players.

For future reference, I’m fascinated by athlete’s/coach’s female relatives. If you’ve got any interesting ones, please let me know immediately. For instance, Marc Bulger has a sister balling (ha!) at West Virginia. Just something to keep in the back of your mind if you find out that Hubie Brown has an attractive niece on Minnesota’s curling team.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home