Saturday, September 16, 2006

My wedding is saved, but at what cost?

Well, the Red Sox are like 8 games out of the wild card, and who knows how many back from the Yankees. At this point, it's all but certain that they are not going to the playoffs. This is bad news for all of us at TPB.

On the plus side, the Sox's elimination precludes the possibility of a Mets-Sox World Series, which means my wedding is still on.In the meantime, I need something else to root for. That thing will be the Phillies. They're only a game out of the wild card as I type this, and have been red-hot since they donated Abreu to the Yankees. So for the next couple of weeks, the Phillies will be my team. They need all the support they can get. I've never seen a city so pessimistic and hostile about their team, let alone a WINNING team. It's really sad. Related to this, I'd like to silence the naysayers who complain about the Phillies: they're a good team. Unfortunately, they're in the same division as the Braves (which mattered from 1994-2005), and the Mets. Also, how cool would a Phillies-Mets NLCS be? I could actually go to a playoff game. (Have you ever tried to get to Shea? It's terrible!)

Don't get me wrong, the Mets are my team. But until October, go Phils!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home