Friday, September 08, 2006

"Free Speech" is too little, too late


I enjoyed the first couple of days of the all-new "CBS Evening News" with Katie Couric. True, I don't care too much for Ms. Couric's voice (to me, she sounds too much like so many girls I remember from college: an air of confidence mixed with a raspy quality that comes from the smoking and drinking of the previous weekend). Nevertheless, she put on a good show.

In particular, I was fond of the new segment "Free Speech," where some opinated person would have the chance to sound off for 90 seconds. While I enjoyed the first two installments of "Free Speech," I was really looking forward to yesterday's, as it was to feature Rush Limbaugh. Apparently, Katie was excited about it, too, as she probably mentioned it about a dozen times in the 2 1/2 days she had been on the air.

So last night I settled into the couch with my dinner (a couple of slices of pizza), ready to watch the CBS Evening News. While I confessed to liking the show, I had not watched it from the beginning until Thursday. After sitting through nearly 30 minutes of the program, my opinion has changed.

The lead news stories went like this: 1) President Bush looks really bad because al Qaeda released another tape, 2) President Bush looks bad in middle America (though most people they interviewed still support him, except for a retired Marine Corps colonel whom they spent about 5 minutes with), 3) How the HPV vaccine will launch some sort of sexual revolution among pre-teens. Granted, I still liked "Free Speech" (for anyone who wants to see Rush's segment, click here), but it is not enough to save the program.

While I welcome CBS' attempt to reach a broader audience (I'm sure their advertisers do, too), 90 seconds of equal time is not the answer. A more serious look at how they report the news is necessary if their rating are to be saved.

5 Comments:

At 9/11/2006 09:45:00 AM, Blogger The Iconoclast said...

Just wanted to throw out there that I loved the whole she's like a girl from college who spent the whole weekend smoking and drinking whiskey blast. Spot on.

BTW, I'd also be willing to discuss how attractive Katie Couric is. A few years ago, she was a solid 9.37. Now, I feel like she's lost a few MPH on her fastball.

Your thoughts?

 
At 9/12/2006 12:29:00 PM, Blogger Chiclet said...

You two better not be talking about me!

 
At 9/12/2006 07:13:00 PM, Blogger Cannon said...

Well, apparently, Katie's gotten a lot of airbrushing for her promos, etc. So, are we comparing the "upgraded" Couric, or the real one?

 
At 9/12/2006 07:13:00 PM, Blogger Cannon said...

P.S.-- The Future Mrs. Cannon added: "Now, I can't wait for 'CBS Evening News Throws a Wedding'"

 
At 9/12/2006 08:32:00 PM, Blogger The Iconoclast said...

Isn't she due for another colon probe?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home